Pages

September 21, 2010

Chocolate Mousse

So, I've decided to add a "Recipe of the Week" series to my blog! I'm excited and both a little nervous at the same time. Excited because I enjoy cooking, nervous because that means I have to come up with a good recipe, and then take pictures while making it, with a baby in the background. I'm only going to add SIMPLE recipes to this. My biggest pet-peeve of using recipes, is that I always feel like I need to buy 10 random things at the grocery store that...

1 - I never knew existed and
2 - I'll never use again!

What you'll need for the chocolate mousse...
  • 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 5 eggs whites
  • 6 oz. chocolate
Simply whip the cream until fluffy. Whip the eggs whites until they form peeks.  Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave - then fold all the ingredients together.

I use a hand mixer with a whisk attachment to whip the eggs and heavy cream (separately). Then a double boiler to melt the chocolate.


I bribe my 7 month old with Graham crackers and a jumper to keep him quiet and happy while I cook.


The whipped eggs on back left, whipped cream on back right and melted chocolate front and center. (Plus a sippy cup that snuck into the picture - not needed :-)


FOLD all three into each other. This is important. Do not whisk, or use a fork or any other mixing tool. ONLY a soft spatula. Fold as few times as possible until completely mixed. The more you mix, the less "firmness" you'll have to your mousse. Then pour into individual serving cups. Makes 7 good sized servings.


Extra Note: If you want to really impress someone you can pick up flavored chocolate bars and use those to make the mousse. I've used a mint-chocolate bar a few times and it always turns out great. You can also spruce up the servings with a dollop of whipped cream, candy piece, mint leaf etc. The possibilities are truly endless! Decorate at will!

No comments:

Post a Comment