Pages

November 10, 2010

Becoming a Working Mom

So, Monty is almost 9 months old now, and I've finally decided to get a job. I wasn't really planning on it, or even looking. But while shopping at Gymboree a few weekends ago the manager remembered me from applying before, and basically offered me a management position while I was checking out. I went home a little excited about the possibility of actually working. But soon, the ultimate fear hit. Leaving Monty with a baby sitter. It just makes my stomach turn to even think about it, but eventually I knew this day would come, and it might as well be a time when I don't have to actually put effort into trying to find a job and be at a place that I love to shop already. One might be crazy to turn down a job in this economy anyway.

So, after meeting with the manager and talking to the GM I've decided to start part-time, knowing that I can go full time when I'm ready. I figured only working part time in the beginning will give Monty and I some time to adjust. I know thousands of women with babies work, but what helps one get over the fear? Any suggestions?

On a good note. For the first time in a long time I actually went to get my hair done. My hair was getting super long and pretty unruly. Which being a stay at home mom it didn't really matter so much because I just always put it in a pony tail. Anyway, I got about a foot cut off! And I really like it. In person it seems much shorter then it looks in the picture. I also got highlights, but you really can't seem them in the picture - bummer - but, I didn't want them too drastic in case time gets away from me and I don't make it to the salon in time to cover up my roots.

My New-Do and Monty @ 8 Months Old

 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! I think that's smart of you to start off part-time. I bet you'll have a hard time not spending all your money on clothes though! I have a friend who used to work there and she gave me a ton of old clothes from her daughter. Aren't I lucky? :)

    I understand the hesitation about leaving him, but it sounds like it's meant to be. I know many people say that there is no better place for a kid than with his mom, but some kids really thrive when surrounded by lots of different people. That's one thing I learned from Caleb. And you'll never know how your kid is unless you put them in different situations.

    You are a great Mommy and as long as you trust your gut (not others), you'll be doing the right thing. And one thing I found myself repeating to my SAHM friends when I was working is that you can't be the best mommy if you're not happy. And if you need to work to be happy, that's part of you being the best mommy.

    So when do you start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been working for 2 weeks now....scary. Monty is actually doing really well at the baby sitters. He doesn't even cry when I leave him there in the morning, which was really surprising to me. He is just the kind of baby that loves all people, and LOVES to people watch, so I'm sure he loves being able to watch all the older kids play.

    I know this sounds silly, but I was super excited that he learned how to clap. I don't know how the babysitter did it, but he finally learned. I could never get him to clap with his hands open, they were always closed. So, I kinda feel better that he is still learning stuff there.

    ReplyDelete